market-farming - Re: Roadside Stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Roadside Stands
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:02:05 +0000

Rick Hopkins wrote:

> Jay Gee,
>
> You have outlined the decline in family values we have all recognized.
> Maybe some of us are old fashioned and long for closer family ties, but
> regardless I have accepted this condition and the U.S. isn't alone there.

I don't consider the situation a result of changes in "family values,"
most are related to technological changes and population increases.

> Anyone in business or not knows the benefits of advertising and a presence
> on the web. That was a reason for our Homestead Foods project
> http://www.homesteadfoods.com As with anything it takes time to build up
> subscribers or customers if you will. As our subscribers supply us with
> photos and some content we will feature farms in magazine format so that it
> accomplishes almost the same as having their own URL. We hope to reach the
> ones who don't have easy internet access or the resources to become
> connected. It is inexpensive advertising and of course I refer to the
> subscribers first when I get calls for farm products. Do you think it would
> be more impressive if I actually identified the number of calls for each
> item? http://www.americanpasturage.com/Homestead/wantlist.htm Maybe a
> score card of sorts?

With all due respect to your intentions, a web site such as
www.homesteadfoods.com is unlikely to bring traffic to the
average farmer with a web site.

The average farmer with a web site would be better off
investing their ad dollars where there is a direct result,
e.g., in a local newspaper classified announcement ad
that read

REAL FRESH FOOD
www.farmname.com

By running the ad every Sunday, people notice it, see
that you are still there and the curious visit the site.

Unless American Pasturage or Homesteadfoods.com
has big sums it uses for mass marketing and brand
building, making headway is going to be difficult for
you.

It's not a hopeless attempt, but it takes a lot of
point on marketing that is unrelenting.

One other point: Advertising that works is
inexpensive at any price. That is because
it produces profits. Advertising that does not
work is expensive, no matter how cheap.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming