market-farming - Re: Roadside Stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Heather L Rauschenberger <cross-r-ranch AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Roadside Stands
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 21:34:23 -0700

<<Why not bring the Market to them?? Similar to the old fashioned veggie
peddlers who used to visit neighborhoods.>>

The in-city neighborhood I used to live in had an older guy who's been
doing just that since I was at least 8 yrs old (and I am in my mid 30s
now; he was old then). He has an old school bus he converted to a rather
large "cargo van", painted it fire engine red, and put in a loudspeaker
system. He drives slowly through the neighborhoods in Flint, touting his
wares each day over the loudspeaker - usually in the evenings just as
folks are getting home, and does a different neighborhood six days a week
with whatever is ready that day. You can hear his call from 2 or 3
blocks away, "Corn, pahtaytas, tomaytas, peas, squash!" Repeated about
every 30 seconds or so for a couple hours, you'd better hope you are one
of the early houses he stops at, because he sells out darned fast! When
I lived "in the city", I bought from him plenty, because it was fresher
than the supermarket (a mile away) and easier to get to than the farmer's
market (5 miles away, large parking lot, but always packed, so hard to
find a place to park, let alone get in/out!)

You'd probably have to check with the areas you are thinking of going
into this way to see if you need a peddler's licenses or some such to be
allowed to do it. Might take a while to build up a customer base, but
this fellow (never have learned his name in umpteen years!) has folks
literally pouring out of their houses soon's they hear him coming,
wallets in hand and families in tow. The families, I don't think I need
to mention, are there to haul away the week's supply of goodies from his
converted bus. <G>

Heather R
cross-r-ranch AT juno.com