market-farming - Re: Roadside Stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "RDH" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Roadside Stands
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:26:47 -0500

Liz,

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts and ideas, especially the hard work
behind them. I will be the first to admit we need to approach each market
with open eyes. A successful tactic in one area may not work in another.

We had one family here attempt to set up the delivery method of selling
fresh produce. Due to restrictive codes, roving sidewalk sales do not
exist, not even for bottled water.

Something that has me baffled is why people will get up at 6:00am to drive
70 miles to a farm in the middle of no where to pick up pastured poultry at
$2 a pound, but will drive right past the farmer's market to a super center
to buy their "fresh" produce.

I have concerns for some of the farmer's markets who restrict membership on
the basis of competition. Farmer's markets first goal should be to help
secure consumers for all of the produce that a region is capable of
delivering. That is my opinion.

I do hope your idea is successful and that you keep us abreast of your
results.

Regards,

Rick