market-farming - Re: Roadside Stands

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Don Palmer" <berryman70 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Roadside Stands
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:46:08 -0400

> Are others experiencing this kind of problem? Or are there some methods to
> improve on-farm sales of produce? Are some areas declining in roadside
> marketing? And some areas doing OK or building their market?

Hello,
We have had a farmstand for 12 years, every year we have seen an increase
in sales. It takes a long time and a lot of promotion to build up a good
customer base, word of mouth is the best advertising, but also slow. There
are quite a few stands in our area, but the competition from them doesn't
seem to matter as much as from super markets. The consumer has to be
educated on the benefits of buying direct from the farm. Although we grow
most everything we sell, to keep a good variety, we purchase things we
can't grow (peaches, grapes ect.)from other local farmers. One thing that
seems to work good for us is that we advertise our three major crops
heavily, strawberries, sweetcorn, & fall decorations, pumpkins ect. We
also do a lot of seasonal decorating and we have a farm animal display/
petting farm.
Don Palmer - western NY
Palmer's Fruits & Vegetables
www.palmersfarm.com