market-farming - Re:RE: email marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mckemie AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:RE: email marketing
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 05:50:51 -0500

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 11:19:41AM +0000, William McKay wrote:

> I can not stress enough the usefullness of email marketing. Most comments
> have covered the basics, but I want to stress how simple it is. If you
> have
> a normal web site, you probably have an option to set up an email list.
> They may call it a newsletter, may call it something else, but it is
> probably there. You just create the list, send a single email to the list,
> and you are done. For the first few editions of my newsletter, I couldn't
> figure out how to make it work so I was sending emails with blind copies to
> folks on the list. It took me forever just to send. Now, it takes two
> minutes to send one out to a couple of thousand people.

Yes, protecting your subscribers is important. A maillist server, such
as this market-farming list, is very convenient and safe. If a
maillist server is used, you should make every effort to restrict
posting privileges to prevent spamming by interlopers. If you use your
normal mailing software, you should: 1) put recipient's addresses in
the Bcc: field rather than To: or Cc: fields and 2) protect yourself
from viruii and worms since such infections can be sent to all in your
address book, especially if you are using a microsoft system.

I started collecting subscribers via hand-written notes and found that
I had a very high error rate interpreting and transcribing the
handwriting. A couple of years ago, after dealing with the
handwriting for about a hear, we started passing out printed slips of
paper that that pointed potential subscribers to an automated
subscription procedure on a website. That made all the errors go away,
but our rate of new subscribers has been very low; folks are not very
willing to take the slip of paper home and act on it. Anyone have any
suggestions on this problem?

--
Willie Onward! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html