market-farming - RE: email marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: email marketing
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:33:11 +0000

Research has proved and many of your
own experiences confirm that email is a
very powerful marketing tool when used
properly. I recommend it highly, but use
it carefully.

Proper use means sending emails ONLY
to people who have requested (opted in)
them. Names and email addresses can be
collected via web site signups or at market
signups.

In Doreen's case, where the recipient group
may be associated with a church membership
and everyone already knows everyone else,
sending unsolicited emails may not incur the
same wrath that sending them to strangers
does. In that kind of case, sending without
permission is probably okay. But you are
better off erring on the side of caution.

Making a signup notice and putting out
3 x 5 cards for people to tell you their true
names and email addresses is easy, cheap
and good for business. Collect them by hand
or have people drop them in a box with a slot
where their information remains anonymous to
others.

BTW, unless you are offering a special price
on a traffic building item in your email newsletter,
I would stay away from speaking about prices
of this week's offerings altogether. Talk about
how good recent weather has been for the crops
or the joyful trials of running the farm.

Including recipes for what you will be selling is a
great idea.

For competitive reasons, it's a good idea to sign
up for your competitor's newletters so you can
stay abreast of what they are up to.

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming