market-farming - Re:Hillbilly tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re:Hillbilly tomatoes
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 08:33:30 -0700

Hi Tom, you mentioned that you had a thin layer of topsoil then clay, that was what our soil up in Dawson Creek was like (about the only thing that could grow without assistance was the "weed of the north" as it is lovingly called - Birch trees). After my 1st experience with ber I built raised beds - 25' x 15' they staggered in height for visual appearance as this was done in our backyard. The tomatoes were planted in the back of the beds which were approx 3' higher than the original soil. I feel that this may have assisted in good tomato growth for the following years. I don't know how economical this would be for large production though. Watering was every few days unless we had heavy rains, but our temps up north never went to the extreme highs - we did have longer sunlight hours though - sun up at 3a down at 11p. I truly hope your crop will recover. Jacqueline