market-farming - Re: Blossom-end rot and Lyris limits

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Blossom-end rot and Lyris limits
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:11:56 -0700

Hi Bill et al,

I have found if I compose a reply in Word and then paste it into my mail program, I sometimes get phantom characters that put me over the Lyris limit. Four paragraphs, assuming they don't repeat War and Peace, should fly. They other thing I've been rejected for is if those four paragraphs were pasted as a quote. The admin limits on this list are, I believe, ten lines, for quotes. I tried to quote more than that and gor it kicked back. I now make my attributions in print.

Bill, I hate to disagree with an extensionist but it won't be the first time and, certainly, not the last. Blossom End Rot is a physiological problem caused by a lack of calcium. However, because of calcium's low solubility, BER will almost always manifest when there is sufficient water stress, even in the presence of sufficient soil calcium. My solution for that is to use a foliar spray of a soluable calcium product. Yes, I use drip irrigation and irrometers, so I know the water situation in my beds. But, on days when the temperatures are in the 100°+ category, my large heirloom tomatoes will still exhibit BER in the absense of a foliar calcium boost. Once every two or three weeks depending on the heat does it. And, yes I get soil tests done. In the absence of sufficient calcium, I use a combination of ground limestone and oystershell. I've found over the years in my organically managed soils, the combination gives me a more immediate availability from the limestone and a sustained reservoir from the shell.
Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln
Auburn, CA 95603-7900