market-farming - radishes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: radishes
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 06:47:58 -0700

Hi, this year I recieved some seed from the Mediterrain for radish, it grows to 12" diameter and looks like a regular red radish except it is huge, we also grew many other mainstream varieties as well. I pulled a few for market the other day they are about 6" now (took about 6 weeks to get to this stage) some looked good and some had the appearance of crusty cake on their skin, a few of my other types of radish have this too. What causes this? The soil was prepared with ashes and compost. Also would any of you have suggestions for growing radish? I would appreciate the help. Thanks, Jacqueline