market-farming - Re: One-upmanship

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bonnie K. Sheen" <bribon AT cablespeed.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: One-upmanship
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:35:38 -0400

I am a fairly new member to Market-Farming and have been learning a BUNCH!
What a great group of people you are. You could publish a book with all
your topics and messages.

I've loved the recent stories about your memories and I just have to jump in

and tell a few of mine. You'll probably think I am at least 150 years old!
Here's some things I remember about my teen years, which were some of the
happiest years of my life!

At first we drew our water in 5 gallon Kerosene tins from the river about
1/4 mile away - then Dad dug a shallow well which saved the trips to the
river - just had to go to the back yard and wind the rope up and down. The
water was a little muddy, but it settled and we boiled our drinking water.
Laundry was done in a tub with a washboard and hung on the line. We had a
wood burning stove for cooking and heating water. Wow, could my Mom turn
out loaves of delicious bread from that oven. We not only used the stove
for cooking and heating water, but also for heating our flat irons and it
provided warmth for our home in the winter. What a cosy, inviting kitchen.
We often sat around the table and talked and read and played table games.
We had kerosene lamps and "Coleman-type camping lanterns" which we filled,
pumped up and lit each evening. (That was my job along with my younger
sister) Finally a generator arrived and we had electric lights at night! A
telephone was FINALLY installed and everyone ran to it when it rang (or
buzzzed - two shorts and a long, I think) A huge vegetable garden kept us
healthy and we raised our own chickens and cows. What more does one
need??!! What an awesome way to grow up!

Sound like "Little House on the Prairie"? Not quite - scroll down to see
where I grew up.

My parents went to Zambia (Northern Rhodesia then) when I was 12 and we
lived there until I was 18 when I came back to the US to go to college.
Talk about a time warp!

Bonnie in Michigan