market-farming - Re: one-upmanship

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Victoria Mundy Bhavsar <toria AT pop.uky.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: one-upmanship
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:29:16 -0400

And there are lots
>of hot weather practices that I copy from gramma - she really knew how to
>work around summer heat and still get things done AND have a leisurely
>afternoon.

Please share the wisdom!!!

Also, I can't one-up anyone here because I was not alive when Kennedy was
shot (I'm 31), but I have a different perspective as a college teacher:

This fall's college freshmen....
Were born in 1982.
They do not remember the Cold War.
There has always been one Pope.
Atari predates them, as do vinyl record albums. Forget about 45's!
The Compact disc was introduced when they were 1 yr old.
Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels, or a B&W tv. They
have always had cable, and cannot fathom not having a remote control.
Roller skates have always been inline.
Beam me up...Scotty?
They have no idea when or why Jordache jeans were cool.
They have no idea that Americans were held hostage in Iran.
They never took a swim and thought about Jaws.
They don't know who Mork was or where he was from.
They do not care who shot J.R. -- In fact, who *is* J.R.?
The Titanic was found?
Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are places, not bands.
McDonald's never came in styrofoam containers.
They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter.

(Beloit College in Wisconsin puts out a list like this every year so the
faculty can have some appreciation of why the students don't get their jokes.)

Now, if you are feeling old...imagine the richness that you have
experienced that these kids never will.

*Kai* the wise women and men,
Victoria
Victoria Mundy Bhavsar
Dept. of Agronomy, N106R Ag. Sci. North, UK
Lexington, KY 40546-0091 859/257-2103
...But other seed fell into good soil and brought
forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold,
some thirtyfold... St. Matthew 13:8