market-farming - Re: one-upmanship

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: one-upmanship
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:39:42 -0400

Wow! Some of you are really old! :>)

I was in the 9th grade when Kennedy was assassinated. The Asst.
Principal came on over the intercom. He usually was joking around with
the announcements when the Principal wasn't in the building. This time
his voice was very different- serious.

I remember all the garbage from the good old days- TV and Food (???).
Back in them 'thar days, the vegies were fresh or canned- no frozen
food. We were poor, so had a lot of unprocessed food and little meat.
I had a dream fulfilled when TV dinners were introduced and I spent the
night with a friend and had my first. I thought they were the
greatest! Of course, my friend had them all the time and hated them.
He thought the greatest thing was my mother's homemade vegetable soup.
Go figure!

We got our first TV before I started school. It was a wood cabinet with
a round screen- looked like a tall radio console. It was used, of
course. There were no stations in Chattanooga at the time and I can
remember my father up on the roof turning the antenna to get the one
station in Atlanta. We watched Howdy Doody, Roy Rogers and my favorite-
Tom Terrific. We couldn't afford the Magic Screen, so used tissue paper
and a crayon. And don't forget Zorro, sponsored by 7-Up.

And I still refuse to eat Sugar Pops. I sent in a quarter and 2 box
tops for a Double R Bar Ranch cut out and never got it. I still haven't
gotten over it!

Thanks to all who posted their experiences- very enjoyable. And it
brought up a lot of fond memories from my past. I learned from Jean
Houston that thinking about early memories on a regular basis improves
both short and long term memory. Maybe we're all forestalling... now,
what was the name of that memory problem?

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm