market-farming - Re: losing chickens, feeding too much?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jeffery Blake" <echoecho AT bedford.heartland.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: losing chickens, feeding too much?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:05:28 -0500

Short days in winter only limit intake if you shut of the lights.

Heart attacks are worse of a problem in the summer despite decreased feed intake because of heat stress.

I wouldn't intentionaly bind up the broilers digestion.  Seems like flirting with disaster to me.  Probably lose more chickens than you would save.

It's really not that hard to either shut of the lights at night.  Not hard to feed as much feed as they will eat in 12 hours either.  I only feed once a day--just pour in just enough to let them run out in the evening.  Simple.