market-farming - Re: losing chickens, feeding too much?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jeffery Blake" <echoecho AT bedford.heartland.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: losing chickens, feeding too much?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:06:03 -0500

Cornish cross broilers can eat too much.  They grow so fast and get so heavy that they have a weak heart.  Heart attacks are common.  Many hatcheries and growers recommend either shutting out the lights at night or removing feed for 10-hours each day.  There will be no reduced growth rate and mortality will be greatly reduced.

There could be other problems as well other than overeating.

We always limit feed Cornish cross. Raise 300-800 a year.  I used to work for a 88,000 head a turn broiler operation they always took out dead broilers by the tractor bucket load.  Company did eventually recommend shutting out the lights.  Actually improves feed conversion.