market-farming - Re: losing chickens, feeding too much?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: losing chickens, feeding too much?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:48:07 -0700

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2001 10:05 AM
Subject: [market-farming] Re: losing chickens, feeding too much?

Just want to add that unless you have a commercial brooder, shutting off the lights could be rather harsh on young chicks, better to remove the feed.  I just went through this with a friend.  He wanted to turn off the lights rather than remove the feed.  I kept insisting week old chicks (where he is) would suffer.  We finally ascertained he wouldn't lose heat as his brooder was a propane unit, whereas mine is a hokey couple of lamp lights.

Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation Wa

It's really not that hard to either shut of the lights at night.  Not hard to feed as much feed as they will eat in 12 hours either