market-farming - Re: peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dawn M. Ripley" <ripley AT iglou.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: peppers
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:47:02 -0400

At 06:46 AM 06/18/2001 -0700, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai wrote:
>My pepper plants are turning yellow and new growth is slow. They have been
>fertilized, I haven't seen a serious problem with aphid, or other insects.
>Our temps out here are abnormally cool, could this be the reason? Any other
>suggestions? I grew them from seed in the greenhouse, they looked great
>prior to transplanting. Thanks in advance, Jacqueline

Hey, Jacqueline:

When temperatures are unseasonably cool, as they were recently, all
plants--and especially plants like peppers, which have tropical
origins--take the temperatures as a signal that they should slow the
production of certain growth hormones as well as limit the uptake of
nutrients. Consequently, their growth slows and leaves begin to yellow (and
sometimes curl) as the result of nutrient deficiency--not because the
nutrients aren't present in the soil, but because the plant's root system
begins to shut down.

Usually when the weather returns to normal, and temperatures rise, the plant
will revert to normal photosynthesis and nutrient uptake, and your peppers
should green up on their own, if they are adequately irrigated. You may
just need to be patient and allow nature to take its course. =)

Dawn