market-farming - Re: peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: peppers
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:37:03 -0400

For those interested in early crops, check out Au Naturel Farm at:
http://www.aunaturelfarm.homestead.com/

Paul & Alison Wiedeger produce early tomatoes and peppers in "high
tunnels"- light weight, unheated tunnels. Here's a quote from their
page:

"We produce lettuce, spinach, mesclun, kales, mustards and other gourmet
salad fixins' in unheated "high tunnels" throughout the winter months.
In those same tunnels, we grow early tomatoes, typically bringing them
to market by Memorial Day - a full 4 weeks ahead of field ripening. You
have to taste them to believe them - a great tomato taste!!"

They're located near Bowling Green, KY and will hold a workshop on what
they do in the tunnels in October. (Info on their web site.) They did
a wonderful presentation on this at the Southern SAWG Conference last
winter.

See you at Au Naturel Farm in October!

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm