market-farming - Re: market-farming rootertillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming rootertillers
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:00:37 EST

In a message dated 3/20/01 11:43:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bchenkel AT conpoint.com writes:

<< We had
them mix 100 ton or so (starting material) last year. But I'm looking for
any ideas to improve. >>
Our compost is in windrows out in the field. We fence around it, and let the
pigs go at it. We also winter over a few pigs to follow our beef in the
lounging barn. By the end of the winter, the pack of sawdust, straw and
manure is at least a couple of feet deep. We make several holes a foot or so
down with a crowbar, and bury an ear of field corn in each hole. As the pigs
root out the corn, they do a terrific job of aerating the pack and starting
the composting process. After a couple of weeks in the lounging barn, they're
put out in the pasture.
Next spring we are considering trying a couple of small pigs to follow our
hens in the grow tunnel where they have spent the winter. We try to make the
most of the "many talents" of our animals and poultry employees to reduce our
work load!
Linda
Homestead Farms