market-farming - Re: market-farming rootertillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bev and Chuck Henkel" <bchenkel AT conpoint.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming rootertillers
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:03:17 -0600

> there hasn't been any response to the query about pig poop in the compost
and
> e-coli on organic food. any thoughts on this?

I've let it age another six months after the hogs are out if using it on
crops for human consumption.

Hopefully unnecessary (How vulnerable are they when blown around?), my far
greater worry is the E.coli that blow onto my farm. Since they come from a
feedlot setting probably a virulent acid resistant 0157:H7 strain is
included. Do some of you get decertified if a neighbor spreads feedlot
manure within a mile of your Organic vegetables?

Chuck Henkel