market-farming - Re: market-farming rootertillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming rootertillers
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:10:35 EST

In a message dated 3/20/01 1:33:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com writes:

<< I've got two baby gilts (pigs) on order to start an experiment using
them in portable pens to open new beds.

Pigs have provided us with their rootertiller abilities for many years.
Thirty years ago, when we first moved to a rocky, grown-over mountain top
farm, (hard to believe we were crazier then than now!) our pigs were housed
in a movable pen. After the trees were cut, the pigs got the chance to "do
their thing". We left the pen in one spot almost a week before dragging it
along with the tractor. We then picked rocks, and cover cropped before
planting the next year. Worked Great!!
More recently we've used pigs to turn compost, and last year we started an
experiment to control bindweed in one of our fields using our pigs. Results
are not conclusive yet, but it looked positive at the end of last season.
Pigs are intelligent, friendly, and people just seem to love watching them.
A word of advice..the red or darker breeds seem to do better on pasture.
White ones will do fine, but watch the sunburn when they first go out!!!
Don't laugh, but we've resorted to sunscreen a couple of times!
Linda
Homestead Farms