market-farming - Re: market-farming rootertillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming rootertillers
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:17:14 -0500

>When pigs stirrup compost and dig up the garden they also leave behind
fresh poop, and we wonder why organic >foods contain e coli???

I think the organic growers know to not grow in soil with fresh "poop".
Usually those fields &/or beds are allowed to rest, or grow green manures
that will not be consumed.

We've toyed with this idea also, using pigs to turn some of these thick
grasses. But the field we need to put them in, the major bulk of our
permanent beds, is right next to a semi-busy 2 lane highway, with our farm
set in a treacherous S-curve. If the pigs escaped, it could spell disaster
for us and vehicles on the road. Do pigs have a tendency to escape?? The
field is actually set above the road, so they'd have quite a jump before
being on the highway, but there's no shoulder--so they'd be roadkill in a
second!

Liz