market-farming - Re: BCS ROTOTILLER RECOMMENDATIONS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BCS ROTOTILLER RECOMMENDATIONS
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:32:44 -0600

Jerry - we bought a BCS in '96, a 735 model with an acme engine which,
supposedly, weren't going to be available any longer. There are lots of
things I would give up before I'd give up my BCS! I have tilled an entire
acre with it in a single day and had time to plant afterwards (and I'm in my
50's). This is a real work horse and never fails us. We also got the
sickle bar (its scary but great when you need it) and the hiller-furrower
which I use when forming new beds.

I think the issue here is the ability to have quick access to replacement
parts from a reliable dealer. Our dealer wasn't reliable and when we needed
a new inner tube could have cared less but we found another dealer in Kansas
City who would ups stuff and we'd have it the next day. I've never run a
troy-built and I know people swear by them, like Jill does. I think the
secret is to get enough power to do the job and no so much it wears you out!
We have sufficient rpm that the BCS won't bog down in wet soils, which can
be a biggie this time of year.

good luck with your choice - and welcome to the list

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas