market-farming - Herbicides persistence in compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Herbicides persistence in compost
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:25:02 -0600

The Aprl 2001 Organic Gardening article (pg 11) states that in
addition to picloram (Tordon and Grazon) "Picloram is not the only
herbicide that is contaminating compost. Caldwell (compost manager
for the site that had the original problem) says clopyralid is another
highly persistent Dow herbicide that is used on lawns and in
agriculture, and it has also been discovered in yard-waste compost
after the compost injured plants. The EPA lists more than 30 products
containing clopyralid..." So, I susggest that nobody stop and pick up
those lawn clippings from your neighbors curb any more.

> Tordon, Has only one primary use in agriculture as a control of
multiflora rose in pastures, it is spot sprayed on the bush
...> It is used on vast acres of pasture and hayland for leafy spurge
among other
> reasons. Grazon is one of the trade names for that usage

  • Herbicides persistence in compost, Adriana Gutierrez, 03/19/2001