market-farming - Re: PS: ROTOTILLER

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: PS: ROTOTILLER
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:03:16 -0800

Jill, I see your opting for a broadfork to replace some of your tilling, will this take more time? I'm curious as to how much acreage you have? We have 5 acres in garden and I'm looking for options as I had an accident with the tiller last year and I'm a big chicken that's afraid to get back on that horse! Also I've used a hoe (plough?) that one can pull behind them, it has a 2' sharp blade, 1 handle on each side and cuts 1" into the ground, and is excellent for getting rid of annual weeds, it too doesn't compact the soil as much, but it belongs to my aunt. Would anyone know where I could find one of these?

From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
I prefer the till/broadfork/hand clearing as it doesn't compact the
soil as much as a tractor.

Jill