market-farming - Re: Herbicide persistence in compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Herbicide persistence in compost
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:38:13 -0600

Jeff,
Thanks for your thoughts! I am with you about working. I am going to
build some structures upon which to put my cold frame windows - but that, I
love. I am going to put off cleaning out stalls, as much as they need it,
until there is more melt and the logbarn door opens more fully.

I am confused about your view on Roundup, though - whether you ended up
thinking it stays in the environment or not. I agree with you about its
main ingredient being non-toxic to animals. Sometimes it is not the main
ingredients that are harmful, though, but rather the carrying agent. In
addition, I do not know the combined effect of Roundup with other
chemicals - agricultural and otherwise - that our body takes in along with
it.

I am more of a purist with my garden than I am with my body (I drink
Pepsi, and love it. Know it has genetically engineered corn syrup in it,
know it is not helpful for bone health in my reclining years, etc., but I
still drink it). Of course I will have to be buried somewhere, although I
favor cremation, and perhaps the high temperatures will make the many toxins
in my body harmless to the earth :^) As far as the garden, I tend to use no
pesticides. I used to use Bt for a year or two, but found that picking off
the beetles was at least as if not more effective than Bt for potatoes. In
addition, when I found out that it was being used on such large scales, and
that it was harming monarchs and other soft-bodied insects unselectively, I
resolved to no longer use it. Which I wasn't anymore anyway.

To me, the precautionary principle is a guiding force in my gardening.
If we are not sure whether something is harmful or not, I don't use it on
the garden. The rest of my life is not so pure. For instance, I drive a
car.

Jill