market-farming - Re: Herbicide persistence in compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Herbicide persistence in compost
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 02:55:16 -0600

> It is used on vast acres of pasture and hayland for leafy spurge among
other
> reasons. Grazon is one of the trade names for that usage. It is
restricted
> but essentially every farmer gets the credentials to use it.
> On a field tour a couple years ago the salesman extolled the virtues of
the
> newer improved Grazon product for more than half an hour and quietly when
it
> was breaking up mentioned that one shouldn't let the animals grazing that
> pasture have any access to crop land because there will be bare patches
for
> a prolonged time(if the crop is susceptible) wherever the animal urinates.
> The picloran comes out primarily in the urine not the feces; which hardly
> matters when you get a load to compost with.

I have NEVER seen Tordon used on anything but fence rows to control
multiflora rose or buck brush etc, etc..... I can't imagine anyone using it
on a pasture or field. For example on the label it states that you can't
plant sunflowers for up to 18 to 24 months after usage.

Last time I looked the price was about $89 per gallon. I would be surprised
if it was broadcast on "vast amounts" of acreage. I do know farmers that
send there kids out to walk pastures with a "squirt" bottle to directly
apply it to thistle and that only takes about two drops but that's it. I'm
sure the salesman would want everyone to spray their fields however farmers
are very cost wary these days...

And no farmer in his right mind would let an animal graze on tordon sprayed
fields

Kevin Ancell
Good Earth Gardens L.L.C.
Joplin Missouri / Santa Fe New Mexico