market-farming - Re: Jug Onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT netins.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jug Onions
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:26:34 -0600

<snip>
The plant we ate is Allium burdickii (A. tricoccum) which is native to
North America (ne US and adjacent Canada west to N. Dakota and Missouri),
yes it occurs in MO. These are small leeks with wide flat leaves (15 -
35 mm wide). The bulbs are small, 1.5 - 4 cm long and are sometimes have
reddish purple coloration.
<snip>

Dear Alan,

Thanks for your reply. I'll check it out.

I read something somewhere that made me wonder if the Jugs were really
leeks, but can't remember what it was now. But the Jugs were maybe 2 to 3
inches long and maybe 8 or 9 inches around. The sets as I recall were
smaller than what you see in the garden departments or nurseries. When one
would cut into a Jug, sometimes it looked like two onions fused together -
two centers or sometimes three - reminds me of garlic cloves sort of.

I wrote to a Dr. Jett in West Virginia. He has something to do with the
horticulture division of the extension office there I believe. I'm hoping
he will have a source.

Marie in Missori