market-farming - Jug Onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT netins.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Jug Onions
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:53:04 -0600

I am resubmitting this about my onions because I never saw a reply the
first time I wrote it. I think nobody noticed because the fray was
happening during the same time.

For almost a century, my family has grown Jug onions. They are a longish
medium sized onion with a reddish purple tint and usually very hot. When
one plants the large onion, sets can be harvested. When one plants sets,
onions are harvested. They are very good winter keepers. Last year the
job of growing the onions came down to my sister and me and we both lost
all we had due to the drought. Does anyone know of any similar onion?

I don't know how many generations are rolling in their graves because of
this - rumor had it that these onions were brought over from England or
Ireland who knows how long ago and have been tended ever-so-carefully ever
since, until now. If you're listening, I'm sorry, mom.

Marie in Missouri