market-farming - Re: Tobacco Pathogen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, rowley AT nwlink.com
  • Subject: Re: Tobacco Pathogen
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:32:13 -0500

Cheri,

Actually you should have no problem with tobacco mosaic virus--this
has not been in domestic tobacco products for over 25 years. It does
affect all nightshade family members. And it spreads rapidly.

But just to be safe provide disposable gloves. I did this for all my
food co-op customers. For another reason. Many were mothers with
babies (in diapers)--I just cringed at the thought of my plants & food
being handled by unwashed hands. It's just a nice, all around
precaution. And very inexpensive. I know--I hate disposable
anything--but I give in on this .

Some links on TMV:
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/tomtotmv.htm

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/ipmnet/apr1299.htm