market-farming - Re: Jug Onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jug Onions
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:36:42 -0500

>>For almost a century, my family has grown Jug onions. They are a longish
>>medium sized onion with a reddish purple tint and usually very hot.

Helen--one of our newest subscribers--from England, may have more
info. I'm finding little in my books--little mention by Joy Larkom,
or English magazine, Kitchen Garden. (I'm really impressed with your
allotment system, Helen!! Very innovative, pity US doesn't do more of
this.)

Egyptian onions, are also known as Tree Onions. The plants become 2-3
tiered. Extremely hardy.

The closest I'm finding to Jug onions-you description--are Welsh
onions.

Have emailed a friend--getting English seed info.

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville NC a