market-farming - Tobacco Pathogen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cheri Shelnutt <cshel AT usit.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Tobacco Pathogen
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:08:09 -0500

For those of you who have visitors to the farm, how do you handle
smokers? We don't allow any smoking on our property but I remember my
father-in-law loosing lots of tomato plants because he went from smoking
to gardening without washing his hands in between. Can any of you tell
me what caused this, does it affect plants other than tomatos, does it
affect others in the nightshade family? Will wearing surgical type
gloves stop this problem if we have a visitor that we know is a smoker?

Thanks so much,

Cheri Shelnutt
Sweet Hollow Farm