market-farming - Re: Jug Onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jug Onions
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 22:35:44 -0500

Marie,
On Thursday, just before my help decided that digging holes for new fruit
trees with a shovel wasn't in his job description, he was talking about jug
onions. He asked me if I had ever heard of them. "They're from West
Virginia," he said. "Long, kind of reddish and real hot."

He went on to tell a story about him and a friend eating a whole bunch of
them before going to school one morning and the two of them getting kicked
out of school for the day because they smelled like stong onions.

He was probably lying about getting to go home early. And when I asked, he
didn't know where to get them except to say "you get 'em in West Virginia."
But it is a coincidence that he would tell that story about the same time
as your e-mail note.