market-farming - Re: poultry question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robin Follette <ThymeForEwe AT nemaine.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: poultry question
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:44:53 -0500

> Just out of curiosity, how many of you out there have named a rooster
> Atilla
> besides Lee and myself for this same personality trait?

We do. He's an Aracauna monster. He went after my six year old daughter
last summer. She was in the goat pen tossing branches out over the
fence. He came after here one last time. He'd done it before so we were
watching him. He came at her from behind, she swung around, smacked the
heck out of him with a stick and then chased him all over the pen. It's a
wonder he didn't die of exhaustion. If he stopped running she started
chasing again. I made her stop, opened the gate to the pen and he
disappeared under the hen house for the rest of the day.

He's in the hen house for the winter and is not a problem. We're in and
out twice a day to feed, water and look the flock over and have no worries
about him. If he becomes a problem in the spring when he's out and free
ranging again he'll killed.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
http://www.nemaine.com/organic