market-farming - Re: shell beans varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: shell beans varieties
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 09:52:13 -0800

Haven't solved the harvest part. But cleaning truely dry beans can be done
by putting them in a pillowcase, tying the case shut and putting them in
the drier with a pair of tennis shoes. Set the drier on air dry and go
clean the greenhouse. This is an efficient but noisy proposition.

More environmentally, prehaps. Tie the dried bean plants in gunny sacks.
Put the name of your least favorite election year wind bag on it, make
margaritas, get some friend, give them sticks and have a "preserve your
sanity" party. :-)

>The biggest problem I have with dry beans is harvest. I wish I had a tiny
>combine or something. Does anyone have a quick and efficient way to
>harvest and clean?
>
>Marie in Missouri

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm