market-farming - Re: shell beans varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alex McGregor <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: shell beans varieties
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 10:27:30 -0500

Sue,

Here's a company that carries a lot of varieties of "Southern peas" including
black-eyed:

http://www.willhiteseed.com/
They sell California No.5 for $1.40/lb., less per lb. in bulk- best prices
I've seen.
You might also try Southern Exposure Seed Exchange to see if they offer any
heirloom
varieties. I checked prices in Shumway's catalog and the same variety is
almost twice
Willhite's.

Black-eyed and Crowder peas are called "cow peas" by those who don't eat
them. Your
extension agent should have information on cultural practices. if you're too
far north,
you could suggest they contact a southern extension for info. I grow the
crowder variety.
They're pretty easy and undemanding. I inoculate with bean and pea rhyzobial
bacteria and
plant like beans with a wider spacing than bush, since they grow like half
runners. They
need warm soil to germinate like beans (don't let the name "pea" throw you)
so I plant
when soil temperatures are warm enough for beans.

If you're growing them for fresh shelling, pick when most pods are full and
before they
start drying. They best way to tell is to pick a pod and taste it. Yummers!
You want them
to be full size, but not mealy of texture, if that makes any sense. We also
pick the
immature pods at the same time to snap and add a bit of tender green pods to
the pot-
something my grandmother always did.

Black-eyed peas and crowders are an old tradition in the South and are
excellent
fresh-shelled (not dried). They're both good with sweet potatoes, slaw and
cornbread.
Uh-oh! I've made myself hungry. Time to pop some sweet potatoes in the oven
and heat up
the pot. Good luck with your peas!

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm