market-farming - Re: shell beans varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT netins.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: shell beans varieties
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:38:14 -0600

I can't help you with the black eyed peas. I've never raised them and only
eat them on New Years day for good luck. I do suggest Jacob's Cattle
beans. I believe they're the same thing as Anasazi Beans. They're white
with burgundy splashes or burgundy with white splashes and turn brown when
they're cooked. They cook quickly and don't have to be soaked overnight.
Just delicious and the thing about them - they don't seem to cause as much
intestinal distress (now didn't I put that politely?) as other dry beans.
My brother was having trouble with high cholesterol and his doctor
suggested he try eating those because other beans made him miserable. He
buys them in bulk when I don't grow enough for him. I keep my own seed
from year to year, but you can get it from the Vermont Bean Seed Co.,
Shumways, Henry Fields and probably lots of other places.

The biggest problem I have with dry beans is harvest. I wish I had a tiny
combine or something. Does anyone have a quick and efficient way to
harvest and clean?

Marie in Missouri