market-farming - Re: Orchards and fruit trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Orchards and fruit trees
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:09:06 -0800 (PST)

We have about 6 apple trees and 3 pear trees that we have been rehabing for
8 years and last year we got a decent apple crop and a bumper pear crop. We
do the orchard as a side venture and basically because the trees were
already here when we moved in. They are all certified organic and get less
buggy each season. They have responded really well to tractoring chickens
under them and this year we got 2 swarms of bees which really helped a lot
with disease and pollination problems. We have never been really great about
a spray programm but usually get sticky traps in the trees and get them
pruned each winter. We do a lot of daily clean up of drops in the summer and
keep the areas kind of on the weedy side to keep insect damage down. We make
sauce, cider and dried apples from the trees.

I don't know all the types but we do have summer rambo, two kinds of
winesaps (the best tasting) and a maine blush and one tree with 4 types
which each year seem to be more and more alike.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH
Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/boulderbeltcsa