market-farming - Re: Orchards and fruit trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Orchards and fruit trees
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 10:48:39 -0600

Lucy Goodman-Owsley wrote:

> this year we got 2 swarms of bees which really helped a lot
> with disease and pollination problems.

I'm building some bumblebee nest boxes this year in hopes of encouraging
bumblebees to move in. I saw not one honeybee up here last year, but
did see bumblebees. Also, bumblebees are active every day and in cooler
temps than the honeybees, so that should help with some more difficult
fruits like apricots and peaches.

Plans for a bumblebee nestbox are on the web at:

http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes/page40.htm

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant