market-farming - Re: Orchards and fruit trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lee Lawton <llami AT teleport.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Orchards and fruit trees
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 08:50:37 -0800

>> I'm adding to my orchard this year--all in the unusual and rare
>> line.
>
> May I ask what varieties you grow, and what you are adding?

I have lots of apples. Liberty, Jonagold, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious,
King, Red Rome, Rome, Lodi, Summer Scarlet, King, Spigold, Northern Spry,
and others, some of which I'm removing because they will not grow well with
organic management. The orchard is about 20 years old, with a few more
recent additions. Because there are so many apple sellers in this area, I
won't add any more apples, although the red-fleshed varieties are tempting.
Well, I couldn't resist a crabapple, so I'm adding one of those.

I also have Italian plum, several varieties of Asian and European pears, and
hardy kiwi. raspberries, blackberries and filberts. I'm adding pie cherries,
and no other cherries, since there are lots of them around here, too, but
nobody else brings pie cherries. Mulberry I haven't seen around here, and
they grow well here. More pears, including those wonderful little Seckels.
Figs appropriate to the Willamette Valley. European plums--Early Laxton and
Golden Transparent. High bush cranberry.

Since we're short on workers and long on work, I have to be careful how much
picking I get myself into. Get too many berries and beans, and pretty soon
you have to get one of those miner's lights to wear on your head!

Lee Lawton
Over the Rainbow Farm
Junction City, Oregon