market-farming - Re: Orchards and fruit trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Orchards and fruit trees
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 11:28:29 -0600

S & S Aqua Farm wrote:

> We've had only one or two market members who grew and
> supplied tree fruits (apples, peaches and pears as I
> recall).

Yeah, that's been my observation, that very few vendors (if any) have
tree fruits at farmer's markets.

It'd be years before I had any fruit to offer, but every little bit
helps.

> But, they were VERY popular folks during
> their season:>) I'll try to look up a couple of phone numbers for
> you to contact for varieties and growing tips as well.

Thanks. I appreciate your help (yet again!)

> We also have some members supplying berries (blue,
> black, straw and rasp) each year.

Typically when I've seen fruits at farmer's markets those are the types
I've seen (the berries). I keep waffling on whether or not I want to
get into berry fruits; other than strawberries, I never eat any myself.

Can you recall off the top of your head what sorts of prices you have
typically seen the other vendors charging? I'm not sure what the market
will bear around here.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant