market-farming - Re: Orchards and fruit trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: S & S Aqua Farm <snsaquasys AT townsqr.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Orchards and fruit trees
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 07:07:43 -0600

At 10:28 PM 02/02/2000 -0600, you wrote:

>Plus, it gives me an excuse to plant a whole BUNCH of different apple
>trees instead of just a handful. <VBG>
>
>Seriously, I'd like to hear how much success people have had with fruit
>in a farmer's market type setting. I don't see fruit offered much.
>
>I'd also like to hear about sources for heirloom fruit trees,
>particularly old cling-style peaches and apples.

Holly, most of Missouri's fruit research is done right next door to you ---
contact Patrick Byers at SMSU's Mountain Grove Fruit Experiment Station -
417-926-4105.

We've had only one or two market members who grew and supplied tree fruits
(apples, peaches and pears as I recall). But, they were VERY popular folks
during their season:>) I'll try to look up a couple of phone numbers for
you to contact for varieties and growing tips as well.

We also have some members supplying berries (blue, black, straw and rasp)
each year. Let me know if you want me to send that contact info.

Paula
S&S Aqua Farm, 8386 County Road 8820, West Plains, MO 65775 417-256-5124
Web page http://www.townsqr.com/snsaqua/