market-farming - Orchards and fruit trees

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sojourner <sojournr AT missouri.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Orchards and fruit trees
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 22:28:28 -0600

I was wondering if anyone on the list is currently operating an orchard,
whether as your main crop or "on the side".

I've got plenty of room for trees, and I am planning on adding trees to
my pasture (for shade for the animals). I see no reason some of those
trees can't be fruit trees - with the tiny amount of livestock I someday
hope to have I don't think it'll be a big problem protecting them.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to plant a whole BUNCH of different apple
trees instead of just a handful. <VBG>

Seriously, I'd like to hear how much success people have had with fruit
in a farmer's market type setting. I don't see fruit offered much.

I'd also like to hear about sources for heirloom fruit trees,
particularly old cling-style peaches and apples.

--
Holly ;-D
Contrary Peasant