market-farming - Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Production methods: tillage, beds, rows, etc.
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:32:08 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Elizabeth Pike wrote:

> From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. :
>
> > I'd be interested in knowing what AC and JJ mean by "edges".
>
> Basically, the edges of raised beds are intentional, mini-landslides. This
> recreates what happens in nature-along ditch banks, hills, etc. Plants have
> more access to air, moisture, warmth & nutrients.

Pure genius. The Chinese do this when they manually dredge their (drained)
irrigation canals between production fields. The rich silt is then put
back on the fields as fertilizer.

Mulching between raised beds all they way to the tops of the beds allows
for no loss of bed soil and recycles nutrient-rich leachate from the beds
by absorbing it for redelivery to the beds - also reduces the need for
irrigation.

LL

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu