lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] .htaccess and redirects

  • From: DaveG <lyceum AT solidgone.com>
  • To: John Neil <John.Neil AT uts.edu.au>
  • Cc: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] .htaccess and redirects
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:10:04 -0400

There are two issues now at play here. One is the physical install -- where the software is installed. The other is making nice clean URLs for the users, and being able to determine which software the URL relates to.

For the software install you have it sounds like you have Durpal installed directly in the root (probably public_html), and not a sub-directory. Whilst not 'optimal' this is okay -- you don't need to change it, that wouldn't make our issues simpler. In this case you should install Lyceum in it's own sub-directory (/lyceum, or something).

John Neil wrote:
My misapprehension was to think that I could get www.mysite.com copuld
function as the clean URL for both Drupal and Lyceum root as I
underestimated the 'magic' of .htaccess - www.mysite.com is always and in
every case the Drupal root. Users access the lyceum index through their own
URL identifier myuser.mysite.com and this I assumed could be the clean URL
for lyceum. However this is not a lyceum url as it will be processed as a
Drupal url and hence we are back to the starting point. Ok so far.
Actually we can achieve this, except... there's a few tricky cases we need to resolve, probably by working through each one. The biggest issue is I don't know the Drupal clean-URL format so I can't just whip something together for you. If you can send me the URL of your site (off-line if that's better) that may help.

So my understanding now is that the Lyceum clean url in the form of
myuser.mysite.com can only be achieved by having the Drupal install at
www.mysite.com/drupal/
Nope. The problem isn't where the software is installed it's related to being able to work out whether we have a Drupal or Lyceum URL based on the nice clean URL. Here's an example.

Rule 1: User enters: www.mydomain.com/index.php (or whatever Drupals 'home page' is) we can write a rule to send this to Durpal. Good.
Rule 2: User enters: user1.mydomain.com we can write a rule to send this to Lyceum (we'll write a rule that says anything not www. goes to Lyceum). Good.
Rule 3: User enters: http://mydomain.com/lyceum/login?action=logout well this would normally be caught by Rule 1. Problem is it's really Lyceum not Drupal. So we write a rule specifically to catch this.

And therein lies the problem. How many Rule 3 type cases will we have? I took a quick look around my site, and it doesn't look like we have very many, so this may be relatively easy.

Do you have a 'test' version of you site that you can play on, or is it okay to play on the main version of your site? We'll be making changes that may prevent the site from being accesses temporarily. No permanent damage will be done though :)

First step is to install Lyceum into a subdirectory.
Next, make sure wildcard subdirectories are turned on (probably need to submit a ticket to your domain host for this).
Next, we need the .htaccess. Can you post the .htaccess as it was *before* the Lyceum install, ie, one which works for Drupal.

If all Drupal pages are access by something like www.mydomain.com/drupal/... then we're in great shape.

If that is the requirement for achieving myuser.mysite.com as lyceum root
then I will move Drupal from site root to www.mysite.com/drupal Would that be
your recommendation?
Nope, see above :)

~ ~ Dave