lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] .htaccess and redirects

  • From: DaveG <lyceum AT solidgone.com>
  • To: John Neil <John.Neil AT uts.edu.au>
  • Cc: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] .htaccess and redirects
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:18:45 -0400

Again, the basic problem we have here is determining from a clean-url whether to redirect to Lyceum or Drupal. We simply have to determine a pattern for Lyceum clean-urls which is a different format somehow to the Drupal clean-urls. With this we can write .htaccess rules to redirect the software to either Lyceum or Drupal. It's like a traffic cop: If we have a URL with /blog in it, then I know it's Lyceum, so go over here. Or, if I see a URL starting with something other than www., then assume it's Lyceum, etc. More below.

John Neil wrote:
<SNIP>
The problem with this is going to be the root of Lyceum would also be
mydomain.com (ie, no www.), so now we'd have to handle each case, or each
page that Lyceum uses with no subdomain prefix.
I'll take your word for this although I'm not sure what it means: does there
need to be a lyceum root (is that portal.php) or is the admin for each
individual blog?
There will always be a Lyceum root somewhere, and that is basically defined as being where portal.php is located. The example I was trying to give was that Lyceum uses the root of the domain (mydomain.com or www.mydomain.com) as it's admin area. So if a user accesses www.mydomain.com do we display Lyceum's portal.php or Drupals start page? (see below for more)

What format are the Drupal url's in -- you provided one example, but we need more to be able to help. If all Drupal pages are access by something like www.mydomain.com/drupal/... then we're in great shape.

There are a number of approaches you could take, but the easiest (given that you already have a Drupal based site) is to make all lyceum urls be like myuser.mydomain.com/lyceum/... We'll then assume any url without the /lyceum/ part is Drupal.
This was approach was how I originally conceived it happening. My
requirement is that users can have a clean and identifiable url as in
myuser.mydomain.com without having to complicate the visual presence with a
subdirectory. Given that I would not be keen on replacing the static
(Drupal) site does all the above indicate that I may have to compromise and
have a myuser.mysite.com/lyceum url as standard for individual blogs?
Basically, yes -- it doesn't need to be /lyceum though, it could simply be /blog or something else. We need to have a way of determining whether the clean URL needs to get directed to Lyceum or Drupal -- we do this by having one style clean-url for Lyceum, and another for Drupal. One way to differentiate is to have /blog in the url. There are other ways.

Example 1:
Lyceum URL: user1.mydomain.com/blog -- we can write rules to resolve this to: user1.mydomain.com/lyceum/...

Example 2:
Lyceum URL: user1.mydomain.com/ -- (ie, not www.) we can write rules to resolve this to: user1.mydomain.com/lyceum/...
BUT what do we do with the www.mydomain.com? Do we redirect to Lyceum or Drupal? If Drupal, then what URL is the Lyceum Admin/base page going to reside at?

~ ~ Dave