livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] We already grow enough

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] We already grow enough
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 01:12:12 +0100

I doubt we have to do with a temporary surge here Pego. Some, to us, strange habits have been going for a few hundred years. For instance, the reluctance of rural people to buy even the most simple of implements and tools when you know a neighbor has one that you can borrow. It is rare to find a spare gas bottle on a farm here. If you have a spare one some neighbor is bound to notice and come and borrow it and chances would be slim you would ever see that gas bottle again for the moment the "borrower" bought a full one someone else would borrow that before it could get returned to the original owner. When people were driven out during the famine, townlands (= rural communities) of sometimes a few thousand people were found to own one chair and one spade amongst the lot of them.
This habits is also found in songs that everybody here understands : "if I can't get the loan of a spade the garden will have to wait..."
In contrast with this in the last 10 to 15 years any small farmer with money (subsidies) seems to have gone in humongously big machinery. Especially excavators. So now you can probably find several 20 ton excavators in most rural communities and the resulting environmental damage is enormous. You can see dug up fields with the grey subsoil on top on which nothing will grow for years almost everywhere and hedge removal is rife,
john
You know, John

There has got to be a business model that accounts for that kind of temporary surge in intense competition.  It is certainly going to be temporary as the supply and market ballance back out.  Moments like that are a big cue to think about things.

Yours, Pego