livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] We already grow enough

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] We already grow enough
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 00:58:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John

That's pretty horrific, and the loss on the lettuce repellent  as well.  I drive about for my business and I would have made for a minimum order, enough to make the trip worth my while or at least a surcharge for the hot shot delivery.  That one restaurant must normally order a pretty penny's worth for you to out of your way like that.

Yours, Pego

"A few years ago an organic seller was taken to court
because a customer found a caterpillar in his produce and he was fined
around $20,000 for that in compensation.
Also, I used to have a vegetable round and I would get a call at night to
immediately deliver 4 heads of lettuce (and nothing else) to a restaurant in
Goleen which is almost an hours drive. Petrol costs over $10 per gallon
here. And I got something like 25 cent per head for the lettuce.
So at the moment we just grow for the extended family and anything left over
goes to our animals.

Just to let you know you are lucky.
john