livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] We already grow enough

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] We already grow enough
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 00:23:17 +0100

I could not agree more that high volume for a low price is a dead end for all concerned but if you don't want to go that way you are not much liked here and on the border of illegal.
And direct to customer sale is also fraught with traps and pitfalls here. I did exactly what you did Paul and had to give it up.
You can't just put down a stall here. Every Friday there is Bantry market where there are people selling organic vegetables and many other things. But it is necessary to set up the stall Thursday evening or you wont have a space. Most vegetable sellers just buy in stuff and pass it on cheap. The ones that grow vegetables themselves often go home with less than $50 worth of trade. There are other farmers markets but there you have to pay for a place. And that is often more than you make.
Why? Well for one thing the majority (native Irish) have mostly a great distrust of organic. A few years ago an organic seller was taken to court because a customer found a caterpillar in his produce and he was fined around $20,000 for that in compensation.
Also, I used to have a vegetable round and I would get a call at night to immediately deliver 4 heads of lettuce (and nothing else) to a restaurant in Goleen which is almost an hours drive. Petrol costs over $10 per gallon here. And I got something like 25 cent per head for the lettuce.
So at the moment we just grow for the extended family and anything left over goes to our animals.

Just to let you know you are lucky.
john

Interesting abt those high volume low profit margins. I say that's a dead end for all concerned. The other way is low cost low tech on small land, hand labor, natural inputs & direct to customer sale, with up to 90% profit margin. If I can do it millions more can do it, & in these times every bit of supplemental income helps. It's not get rich quick in this high cost of living but it may mean survival on the downside. The time to learn is not on the downside. It's too late then.

tnx for fascinating comments, people. (I've got into spelling shortcuts somewhat, call them Twitterisms maybe)