livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Former inspector lifts lid on the murky world oforganic food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Former inspector lifts lid on the murky world oforganic food
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 22:31:32 -0600

This is interesting: today by sheer coincidence I met the chair of our NM
Organic Commodity Commission, at a market where we both sold our produce. But
I saw no point in sharing our views on certification.

The reason I passed on this article was his point about no field testing for
violations. He's correct. The same point was made by Eliot Coleman in one of
his books. And at least in the U.S. this is a loophole big enough for a
whole fleet of trucks to ride through. That being the case I see no way
certification can guarantee any grower strictly meets the organic standards,
esp with huge corporate growers and food processors.

Again, the Devil is in the details. In spite of all the paperword required,
there is no testing of the actual produce for pesticides. But there's more.
Without thorough field testing there is no possible way to certify that
pesticides, herbicides, fungicides etc. have not been used and are not
present in the soil that grows the crops. Ditto for chemical fertilizers. In
fact, such thorough testing would cost so much it would bankrupt the farmer
or the agency doing the certifying. But it's not required, hence simply not
done. I've read the rules for certification in the U.S. Anyone can.

True organic growing is fine. What's not fine is the bureaucratic
certification rules that simply do not, and cannot, guarantee crops are grown
organically. This is terrible for consumers thinking they're buying organic.
But it's great for the food industry corporations growing certified and
getting a premium price for it.

All inspectors can inspect is the record keeping. They can't tell if I put
some 10-20-10 NPK on my bean beds. Or if I used some methyl iodide on my
strawberries. Or Roundup on all the weeds. There's no way without specific
and costly testing for those things and a hundred other things that violate
organic standards.