livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Looking For The Uncrowded Country

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Looking For The Uncrowded Country
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 00:02:51 -0700 (PDT)

> From: John D'hondt <dhondt@eircom.net>
> I read you Dieter. Just want to
> remark that industrial farming also has it's
> problems. ...

Industrial society has its problems. Real big ones too! I’m not defending
industrial farming - far from it. I’m just pointing to the fact that we have
gotten used to a way of life with innumerable comforts provided by
industrialization that most people will not do without. I grew up on a small
pre-industrial farm in the 1950s that was rationalized out of existence in
the industrial boom years of the 60s – like millions of other farms all
across Europe. People dreaming about a romantic country life today have no
idea of how hard farming was in those days.

Dieter

PS: The Alentejo region where I live is one of the poorest in the EU. There
are still a few old farmers practicing traditional pre-industrial farming
even today - ploughing with a donkey. But the young people don't want to do.
The population in this region keeps on falling - like it has been for
decades. The land is being abandoned and people move to the city or abroad
to get jobs and live in comfort. Can't blame them really. For people who
have never had electricity or a bathroom and who have spent their entire life
in a small mud house, to live in a concrete block with a bathroom,
electricity, etc. must seem like heaven.